hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer <awittena...@linkedin.com>
Subject Re: bringing the codebases back in line
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 06:46:11 GMT

On Oct 21, 2010, at 5:51 PM, Eli Collins wrote:

> - The packaging is Linux specific, we've gotten push back when trying
> to contribute modifications upstream with Linuxisms since Apache
> supports non-Linux platforms (namely Solaris).

	Oh come now Eli.  Just say it: I push everyone really hard on making things multiple platform
to the point of being as trollish as this Ian fellow that started this thread.

	Most of the Linux-specific modifications that I've seen that have been submitted are specifically
to avoid configuring the system properly*, built in such a way that they weren't pluggable
for other operating systems, or could be done in a much more POSIX/OS-agnostic way.  The fact
that there are parts of Hadoop that don't work properly on Mac OS X (despite the overwhelming
number of Mac laptops in use by Hadoop core devs) always struck me as particularly funny when
people get frustrated with me when I point this problems out.

	It is also worth mentioning that, AFAIK, only Linux and AIX have OS-specific code in Hadoop.
 Attempts to get fixes (not even features!) for specific issues for other operating systems
have been fully rejected with the cry of "we the community don't want to support specific
OS issues in the core", even tho some of them are direct hinderance to the proper operation
of Hadoop on those OSes.  We have a very big double standard at work here.

*  e.g., searching through x LInux distribution directories looking for a working JRE in the
primary hadoop script to protect users from putting the location in hadoop-env.sh.   To me
the great irony here is that this is the type of code that'd be great for a (mostly) single
use tool do... like, say, a packaging system....