hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Chris Douglas <cdoug...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSSION] Combine committer lists in Common/HDFS/MapReduce
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2010 21:02:42 GMT
Hadoop developers tend to specialize in either HDFS or MapReduce, but
given that:

0) Granting karma to Common is routine for a committer in either
space; there are no Common-only committers
1) The majority of committers have been grandfathered into committer
roles in all three projects
2) Many patches to Common require corresponding commits to both HDFS
and MapReduce
3) Review-then-commit is usually sufficient notice for interested
parties to comment
4) There have been few problems with committers pushing in patches
without consulting someone more directly involved
5) Everyone on the PMC gets commit rights to all subprojects, anyway

Perhaps it would make sense to give up on separate committer roles
until the projects are separate TLPs.

On the other hand:

0) Nobody has been independently added to both HDFS and MapReduce
since the projects were separated
1) It could exacerbate the focus on MapReduce in HDFS, at the expense
of other projects (like HBase).
2) HDFS and MapReduce are mostly independent communities and
codebases; expertise in one does not imply fluency in the other
3) Granting veto power across projects can lead to deadlock despite
consensus within that community
4) TLP status for either project may require untangling HDFS/MR roles
that could be distinguished now

Personally, I'm in favor of combining the roles. I trust all six of
the committers made since the project split no less than those made
earlier. Further, version control is sufficient for recovering from
most, foreseeable issues. I have some concerns about "harmless"
commits pushed through without an audit by the subproject's
maintainers (a few in recent memory caused downtime in Y! clusters),
but combining the roles seems like a worthwhile experiment.

Thoughts? -C