hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Combine committer lists in Common/HDFS/MapReduce
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 05:04:51 GMT

On Aug 9, 2010, at 9:26 AM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> On 08/08/2010 12:21 PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
>> This of course begs a larger question - should we just merge Common,
>> HDFS & Map-Reduce together and be done with?
>
> I think there's still a reasonable long-term goal to split MapReduce
> from HDFS, so that they can release separately and are maintained by
> separate teams.  So I believe a strong division of these code trees
> and
> release artifacts should remain.

It is clear from the comments on this thread that the move to split
HDFS and Map-Reduce into separate projects has been a mixed bag -
maybe a net negative.

It has caused issues we as a community haven't dealt well with.

So, we need to make a decision - do we stick the course, get through
the painful process and emerge stronger or do we take a step back and
regress a decision we made back then? The current proposal to merge
committer lists seems like a regression.

Arun