hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Combine committer lists in Common/HDFS/MapReduce
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 16:23:56 GMT

On Aug 8, 2010, at 12:21 PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:

> This of course begs a larger question - should we just merge Common,
> HDFS & Map-Reduce together and be done with?

*Sigh* I wish we'd just split the mailing lists, source code, and
artifacts (jars, documentation) and left it in a single project.
Basically, we should have set it up as:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/trunk/{common,hdfs,mapreduce}

It would certainly make it easier to deal with cross-project patches.

But, that said, I'm not wild about going through another cutoff where
we lose all of our history in git. (Subversion tracks through the
split but the svn to git gateway views them as new files.) I really
wish we could just move to git for commits as well as for reads.

I'm also concerned about spinning for the sake of spinning. Doing more
major code movement will cause more instability in trunk that I'm not
sure is a good idea without clear goals and roadmaps.

-- Owen