hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Combine MapReduce/HDFS Committers
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 13:42:23 GMT
On 17/08/10 11:15, Chris Douglas wrote:
> Per the discussion thread: http://s.apache.org/XkY
>
> Should HDFS and MapReduce committers lists be combined and all
> subsequent committers on either of these two projects be granted karma
> in the other?

0

I don't know.

A big driver for the split was the volume of emails, for a dev you had
to track lots of jira issues across the board. Having the split has been
bad for me in that I've got lazy about tracking everything, which is
what you need to do to understand what's going on. Question is -how many
people need to understand all that's going on? And of those people who
are trying to do this, how do they get time for anything else?

I do think having some separate user groups where hdfs and mapreduce
issues can be discussed is good, so some separation there does seem to
help, though it's not clear for new users which list to go to.

-steve