hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Combine committer lists in Common/HDFS/MapReduce
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 09:56:28 GMT
On 10/08/10 17:44, Jeff Hammerbacher wrote:
>>> I'd like to get rid of Common.  It could either be merged into HDFS or
>>> gradually whittled away to nothing.  I'd prefer the latter.  If we move
>>> to different RPC and serialization systems (e.g., Avro) then Common's
>>> io, and ipc packages might be removed.  Configuration might be
>>> replaced/merged with Jakarta Commons Configuration
>>> (http://commons.apache.org/configuration/).  Similarly, the metrics and
>>> fs packages might be moved to Jakarta Commons.  Such changes might be
>>> hard to do back-compatibly, however.
>>
>> Great idea. We should do this.
>>

> Cool, created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-6909 to track.

I'm actually against this. You push all your stuff upstream -your
management foundations- and you are dependent on the other stuff release
schedules, and you don't have one single place to do your own layers,
your own indirection.

This doesn't imply anything against commons-config, just that there is
benefit from having some core stuff, and it's in management that it
really wins, and in shared utility stuff like in-VM httpd servers