hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Vinod KV <vino...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Combine committer lists in Common/HDFS/MapReduce
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 05:35:25 GMT

I know of very few to nearly zero number of patches in mapreduce that
touch HDFS also. And vice versa. The common case is of patches that
touch both common and mapreduce or common and hdfs. I am one of those
who has access to mapreduce project but not to common project and find
more than 50% of the patches that fall into this category.

(*) May be then we should simply knock off the separate list for common
project and maintain separate lists for mapreduce and hdfs members of
which will automatically have karma for the common project.

As for the separation of the repositories, I personally felt separation
of mapreduce from hdfs helped focusing on things a lot better. The last
gasp work done for 0.21, mostly by Tom, did help a lot in decoupling the
projects. Common is the hot point, sure, but as others noted, that is a
separate discussion.

My few cents.

+vinod