hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Combine committer lists in Common/HDFS/MapReduce
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 16:26:15 GMT
On 08/08/2010 12:21 PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
> This of course begs a larger question - should we just merge Common,
> HDFS & Map-Reduce together and be done with?

I think there's still a reasonable long-term goal to split MapReduce
from HDFS, so that they can release separately and are maintained by
separate teams.  So I believe a strong division of these code trees and
release artifacts should remain.

I'd like to get rid of Common.  It could either be merged into HDFS or
gradually whittled away to nothing.  I'd prefer the latter.  If we move
to different RPC and serialization systems (e.g., Avro) then Common's
io, and ipc packages might be removed.  Configuration might be
replaced/merged with Jakarta Commons Configuration
(http://commons.apache.org/configuration/).  Similarly, the metrics and
fs packages might be moved to Jakarta Commons.  Such changes might be
hard to do back-compatibly, however.

I don't see that merging the Jira databases or mailing lists for HDFS
and MapReduce offers big advantages.  The redundant, coordinated Jira's
tend to be between Common the others, no?

Doug