hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Combine committer lists in Common/HDFS/MapReduce
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 11:07:32 GMT
On 09/08/10 05:42, Hemanth Yamijala wrote:

>>> To my thinking, a single set of committers should manage a product.  A
>>> product is something that's released.  Currently, we still branch and
>>> release Common, HDFS and MapReduce together, so I regard them as a
>>> single product and hence believe they should have a single set of
>>> committers.
>>
>> This of course begs a larger question - should we just merge Common, HDFS&
>> Map-Reduce together and be done with?
>
> I actually think that would simplify matters *smile*

I seem to recall the original goal of the split was to make it easier
for people to stay current with the dev of their particular bit, but I'm
not sure that goal has been met

-more dev mailing lists, all of which I'm behind on
-more user lists, messages get sent to more of them or its not clear where
-its very hard to push out manageability changes across everything
-no clear push for a desynchronised release process
-testing of everything is very convoluted

common, hdfs and mapreduce are very tightly coupled, in code and in
releases. I don't see the split as having helped, it just seems to have
slowed the rate of release, and that's been bad for everyone.

-steve