hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Nigel Daley <nda...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Combine MapReduce/HDFS Committers
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2010 23:00:17 GMT

On Aug 19, 2010, at 1:03 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> On 08/19/2010 12:48 PM, Stack wrote:
>> I do not  see how a combined contributor list could act as friction on
>> the ongoing break-up of the hadoop project -- something I'm in favor
>> of -- nor get in the way of the development of distinct mr/hdfs
>> user+dev communities; it seems to me that that project can progress
>> independent of who can commit where.
>
> I agree.
>
> Many projects manage such things with trust, not with rigid ACLs.  Some committers are
trusted to commit just test code, some just documentation, and some deep implementation details
in particular areas of the code.  But should any committer wish to manage a release, or even
commit a patch outside of their normal domain of expertise (if it's been reviewed by someone
with expertise in that domain) they can.  Over time they can gain trust in new areas of the
project.  In such projects, adding a committer merely implies that you trust someone not to
overstep their abilities.  If someone consistently suggests that patches are ready for commit
which others feel are not, then they won't earn that trust and be invited to become a committer.
 Thus committership is not about deep technical abilities, but personal trust not to violate
social contracts.  Erecting walls within the community of trust via ACLs doesn't seem productive.

> Doug

Agreed.  Anyone want to reconsider their vote?