hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Branching and testing strategy for 0.22
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2010 23:34:59 GMT

On Aug 23, 2010, at 3:26 PM, Aaron Kimball wrote:

> Would it be worthwhile to give branches unique, persistent names?

I don't think so. Of course the old branches will always be there
under the old revision. But it will be convenient to be able to do
"svn up" on the given branch and have it track the current qa branch
without worrying about what the "current" index is and doing a svn
switch to the new url.

> branch-0.22-qa1, branch-0.22-qa2, etc. Then problems in a later
> incarnation
> of the QA branch could be regression-tested against the previous one.

These are not intended to be long lived. In particular, any comparison
testing will be done with the generated artifacts, not the source
repository.

> Your point about automated builds is, however, noted. If this were
> git,
> branch-0.22 could be a "floating" branch which is aliased with the
> most
> recent qa branch name. Can we do something similar with svn?

I don't think so, since branches in subversion act like copies rather
than markers.

-- Owen