hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Pig to become a TLP
Date Tue, 31 Aug 2010 21:41:22 GMT

On Aug 30, 2010, at 1:41 PM, hc busy wrote:

> +1, Congrads on the near unanimous vote for progress.
>
> Btw, can somebody tell me what the change was from March when this was
> discussed and now? At that time, every one seem to have felt that
> Pig can
> only handle Hadoop as backend and doesn't make sense for it to
> become a TLP
> by itself. In fact, I remember a ticket to remove the possibility of a
> different backend. What did I miss?

I can only speak for myself, but in the original discussion thread on
pig-dev (http://bit.ly/byD7L8 ) I discussed why I changed my vote over
the course of the last few months.

> 1.) Technically, what developments/or future plans make it a separate
> project from Hadoop? (Other backend support?)

While we still want to design Pig and Pig Latin in such a way that
there may be separate implementations that do not run on Hadoop,
nothing in this regard has changed in the last few months.  What did
change is that I (and I think others) realized that being connected
technically to Hadoop does not mean we need to be connected in our
governance.

> 2.) What are the non-technical factors that changed since March that
> made
> this vote possible? (Donation from large company?)

Apache does not require that projects raise any finances.  Pig is (as
it has been) supported by the contributions of those choose to work on
it and those who are paid to work on it.

> 3.)  Can I make tax deductible contributions to the Apache Pig
> Project ?

Wow, that's a huge vote of confidence.  Thanks.  But no.
Contributions to Pig can be made (as before) in code, documentation,
user feedback, etc.  You can donate money to Apache itself, which goes
to support the infrastructure for Pig and all Apache projects.  For
more info see http://apache.org/foundation/support-apache.html  (I
have no idea if that is tax deductible or not.)

Alan.