hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Branching and testing strategy for 0.22
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:31:13 GMT
As we have briefly discussed off-line I'll try to reiterate the assumptions
you have expressed:

 - testing cycle on a qa branch won't be reset after a blocker (B1) is fixed.
   The validation is continued from the point where the B1 has been
   discovered. In the real cluster test env. it means that only fresh
   deployment needs to be done.
 - in some cases a judgment call has to be made on whether or not testing
   cycle needs to be reset (e.g. in cases of massive fixes and so on). The
   chances are, however, that critical fixes are usually isolated and don't
   affect the rest of the code base.

It isn't like I disagree with the assumptions above. They are valid... under
two conditions:
 - a test harness in use (i.e. a team of test engineers running on manual
   testing errand or an automated solution similar to Herriot) supports the
   notion of interrupted test cycle
 - there's a sound regression tests suite which can guarantee the a fix B2
   doesn't invalidate fix B1 from before.

Cos