hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Branching and testing strategy for 0.22
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2010 07:08:07 GMT

On Aug 23, 2010, at 4:17 PM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:

> If I may... why QA need source code branches rather than a
> sequential builds
> from the trunk (as it usually done)?

For QA to be effective, they can't handle a different artifact every
day with a new set of features. So the plan is to take a snapshot and
test that. However, if bugs are found that block testing they need
precisely those bugs fixed with out any additional features. So you
need branches to support that. So a sample cycle would look like:

1. create build-1 and test it, discovering bugs B1, B2, and B3. Only
B1 is blocking further testing.
2. meanwhile, someone has checked in feature F1 into trunk
3. B1 is fixed in the branch and trunk. B2 and B3 are just fixed in
trunk
4. when build-2 is built it only has B1's fix
5. at the end of the cycle, we rebase the branch to trunk and pickup
B1, B2, B3 and F1 into build-3.

If you don't have a branch, you would get F1 whether you want it or not.

-- Owen