hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hadoop Platform
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2010 12:54:01 GMT
Renato Marroquín Mogrovejo wrote:
> Thanks everybody,
>
> I will definitely try to get in contact with OpenCirrus, and if not I can at
> least test with some amazon hw so I can prove the application concept.

There's a lot to be said for bringing up 3 or 4 virtualbox or vmware VMs
and playing with that locally, as it does make sure that you have
distribution right. CPU performance on VMs is pretty good, it's only
disk IO that (currently) suffers.

 >And
> the Whirr project is really interesting, I will give it a look specially
> because we really don't want to depend on a single service provider.
> Thanks again for the suggestions.

I've been doing some work on GUIs/tooling too; this is something that
could really front end what whirr does, though it also needs a
cross-infrastructure HA story for managing the persistent data the
tooling needs too -user accounts, current set of machines, etc etc.

http://www.slideshare.net/steve_l/farming-hadoop-inthecloud