hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: What are uses of taskTracker and JobTracker services?
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2010 19:49:49 GMT

I think that he was trying to explain that in HDFS, you have a name node and then your data
nodes.
So you have the name node service on the name node and each data node has a data node service.
When you run a map reduce job, you have a Job tracker that resides on the name node and controls
the overall job.
On each data node, where the jobs run in parallel, there exists a task tracker.