hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Josh Patterson <j...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: HDFS Source Code
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2010 14:20:41 GMT
Vidur,
Probably a great place to get started would be:

http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/hdfs_design.html

<http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/hdfs_design.html>Then after
reading that, you could take a look at the api docs:

<http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.20.0/>
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/api/

and then a few ways to touch hdfs from other languages:

http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HDFS-APIs

Beyond that, I'd download the source from SVN and take a look at

org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient.java

to get a feel for how most apps talk to HDFS. After that you could look at:
*
*
*org.apache.hadoop.fs.FsShell*

to get a feel for how the shell system as a java program talks to DFSClient.

Beyond that, just reading more source code and compiling your own
experiments reading and writing to HDFS is the best way to get a feel for
whats going on under the hood.

Josh Patterson

Solutions Architect
Cloudera