hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Proposal for making core Hadoop changes
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2010 15:29:06 GMT
On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 02:50, Konstantin Shvachko <shv@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Eli,
>
> Just checking on the status of this proposal.
>
> In the past I was hesitant about introducing more formalities.
> I now think we really need some mechanism for
> new feature and project proposals, also tracking decisions.

Making and tracking decisions at Apache is done via public ASF mailing
lists, exclusively.
Any other means of communication, including face-to-face, JIRA, IRC
etc, is *not binding*.
Every community member has equal say (only PMC members votes are
binding though).
Committers can veto commits and commit to svn. PMC members have
special rights and duties, too, as described in our Bylaws.

That's about it.

If Hadoop has issues tracking and making decisions, you won't fix that
by introducing any formalities.

  Bernd