hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Josh Patterson <j...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: HDFS Source Code
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2010 19:47:25 GMT
Ahmad,
A nice overview of Map Reduce is at:

http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/mapred_tutorial.html

<http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/mapred_tutorial.html>In terms
of replacing the entire communication framework under Map Reduce, thats a
considerably different and more complex task that simply talking to hdfs
from java. You have a large number of interlocking classes based on the
communication system of hadoop; replacing this would be like trying to
replace the frame of an automobile --- in other words, you might try, but
you run a high risk of not having a large percentage of the parts not work
correctly with the new automobile frame.

If you were to tackle such a large task, it would be less of "knowing a
certain set of classes to work with" and more of knowing how a large degree
of hadoop works.

Josh