hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>
Subject Re: "No datanode to stop " message on stop-dfs.sh
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2010 08:01:44 GMT
Hadoop by default places its .pid files in /tmp.

On most linux distros, a script will come along and delete stuff from there that hasn't been
modified in a while.  The startup / shutdown scripts are merely looking for these pid files.
 The solution is to move the temp files to somewhere sane.  Maybe /var/run/hadoop/.

On Jun 1, 2010, at 1:19 PM, C J wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a brand new setup of hadoop machine cluster with 50 machines. I see some weird
issues come up with the cluster with time....Things run just fine for a few days and then
when I try to run stop-dfs.sh, it says

> no namenode to stop
> hadoop-07: no data node to stop
> hadoop-08: no data node to stop
> .
> .
> .
> hadoop-03: no secondarynamenode to stop
>
> When I go to these machines, the data node is actually running.
>
> Any idea what can cause issue like this? The last time it happened I killed all the running
datanodes manually and then started the dfs. It started fine. After that even the stop-dfs.sh
worked as expected. But now it got back to the same situation again.