hadoop-general mailing list archives

From C J <c.josh...@yahoo.com>
Subject "No datanode to stop " message on stop-dfs.sh
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 20:19:15 GMT
Hi,

I have a brand new setup of hadoop machine cluster with 50 machines. I see some weird issues
come up with the cluster with time....Things run just fine for a few days and then when I
try to run stop-dfs.sh, it says

no namenode to stop
hadoop-07: no data node to stop
hadoop-08: no data node to stop
.
.
.
hadoop-03: no secondarynamenode to stop

When I go to these machines, the data node is actually running.

Any idea what can cause issue like this? The last time it happened I killed all the running
datanodes manually and then started the dfs. It started fine. After that even the stop-dfs.sh
worked as expected. But now it got back to the same situation again.

One more thing I see a lot of left over running "Child" tasks from task attempts on these
machines.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,