hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop support for hbase
Date Mon, 10 May 2010 18:05:23 GMT
On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Allen Wittenauer
<awittenauer@linkedin.com> wrote:

> On May 10, 2010, at 10:18 AM, Stack wrote:
>> The above is a fallacious setup.  How does a branch in 0.20 detract
>> from the 0.21 momentum (The append feature that we'd work on in 0.20
>> branch has little relation to how append works in 0.21).
>
> There are X amount of hours that people can put into Hadoop.  If Y amount goes into
0.20-append, then 0.21 is now left with X-Y.   X-Y < X.

>>> I'd rather have the HBase folks put pressure on the Hadoop PMC to get 0.21 out
the door than create a custom-to-be-thrown-away-in-less-than-a-year branch.  This way we
*all* benefit rather than a select, but vocal group.

>> We're all behind 0.21.  Its the future.
>
> Great.  Start using the time you'd put into 0.20-append into 0.21 and then we'll all
be in a better place.

That's not how it works though - people have adopted and use Hadoop
0.20 because of the fact that people like Yahoo, Facebook, etc run it
on multi-thousand node clusters and have done so for months (or soon
to be years now).