hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Jay Booth <jaybo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop support for hbase
Date Mon, 10 May 2010 21:06:09 GMT
Given that the 0.20-append branch pretty much already exists
unofficially, via IRC, IM and email forwarded patchsets, it seems like
giving it an official home is just recognizing the status quo.
Especially since 0.21 probably won't be getting rolled out into
production everywhere the first day it's officially released.  If the
work's going on anyways, I don't see how giving people a shared home
hurts matters, if anything it gives them a better shared touchpoint
for forward-porting bugfixes to 0.21.

A case could be made that by making it more painful to run
0.20-append, more momentum is created towards 0.21 but since Tom is
already on top of 21 and seemingly doing an excellent job, and since
the HBase community will probably be some of the first people to move
to 0.21 anyways, I don't see why having 0.20-append will damage 0.21's
momentum at this point.