hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Proposal for making core Hadoop changes
Date Tue, 25 May 2010 19:42:06 GMT
On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
> Jeff Hammerbacher wrote:
>>>
>>> For comparison, anyone have a references to similar processes?
>>>

>> Java has the Java Community Process: http://jcp.org/en/home/index
>>

> a process that nobody liked, such as this comment by GregW of the jetty team
> on JSP 3
> http://blogs.webtide.com/gregw/entry/servlet_3_0_public_review
>
> JCP has some advantage over standards bodies I've been in
>  * they recognise the value of tests.
>  * better remote collaboration
>  * more open to interested third parties
> But that's it. Very vendor-managed, Sun was usually in charge, you'd be hard
> pressed to find anyone on the Apache jcp-open list (yes, we have one!) who
> is happy.

The JCP seems heavy weight, we'll want to make sure the pendulum
doesn't swing too far in the opposite direction.
Would be interesting if there are other good light weight alternatives
to the PEP, I looked and didn't turn up many.

> * evolution in the codebase is a good way of getting stuff to meet people's
> needs. If you have to have big branches until things are perfect you have
> the cost of maintaining branches, its harder for people to experiment with
> your stuff.
> * If the cost of adding features is high -and maintaining branches, merging,
> identifying test failures is high- the barrier to participation is pretty
> steep. you need a team of engineers to work on every feature

The cost of adding features has gotten high anyway (even without
branching). It's a classic trade-off -- merge overhead vs moving
faster without burdening others -- as the overhead imposed on others
increases, and tools (git) make it easier to live and collaborate on
branches it makes more sense (you don't need a team of engineers or
dedicated merge engineer to maintain the branch). Might find the
following interesting:
http://incubator.apache.org/learn/rules-for-revolutionaries.html

Thanks,
Eli