hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Anthony Ikeda" <Anthony.Ik...@cardlink.com.au>
Subject Active-Active Performance
Date Mon, 24 May 2010 23:46:24 GMT
I'm new to Hadoop and I've been given the task to see how we might
utilise Hadoop and HBase to implement an Active-Active site layer for
sharing information across a distributed application.

I've been able to:

*         Install and get Hadoop running on a single node and am in the
process of configure a 2 node setup.

*         Install HBase on a single node and create a table and mapping
as well as insert data into the system

Once I've got the mutli-node configured I hope to run some tests as
well.

I've noticed that trying to start Hadoop in distributed mode, the slave
will ssh to the master to start it as well (bin/start-all.sh) provided
the same path is setup on the remote machine.

Questions:

Can I configure the system IF the Hadoop installation is not in the same
location per machine?

If the master node goes down (say due to electrical fault or system
fault) how do the slave nodes react? Will they continue to run? Will the
nodes be back in sync once the master starts again?

Would I require a particular configuration to ensure that both our sites
can operate within the cluster as well as in a detached fashion (due to
maintenance or network issues)?

We want to ensure that data is added to HBase on each site with the data
synced across both sites. If one site goes down then recovery of data is
imperative.

Anthony Ikeda

Java Analyst/Programmer

Cardlink Services Limited

Level 4, 3 Rider Boulevard

Rhodes NSW 2138

Web: www.cardlink.com.au | Tel: + 61 2 9646 9221 | Fax: + 61 2 9646 9283

This e-mail message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the addressee(s)
named above and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If you are not
the intended recipient, any display, dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited.
  If you believe you have received this e-mail message in error, please immediately notify
the sender by replying to this e-mail message or by telephone to (02) 9646 9222. Please delete
the email and any attachments and do not retain the email or any attachments in any form.