hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Proposal for making core Hadoop changes
Date Tue, 25 May 2010 16:28:51 GMT
Jeff Hammerbacher wrote:
>> For comparison, anyone have a references to similar processes?
> Java has the Java Community Process: http://jcp.org/en/home/index

a process that nobody liked, such as this comment by GregW of the jetty
team on JSP 3

JCP has some advantage over standards bodies I've been in
  * they recognise the value of tests.
  * better remote collaboration
  * more open to interested third parties
But that's it. Very vendor-managed, Sun was usually in charge, you'd be
hard pressed to find anyone on the Apache jcp-open list (yes, we have
one!) who is happy.

I haven't looked at Elliot's proposal in enough detail to comment, here
are my thoughts from working on the lifecycle stuff, and on other ASF

* evolution in the codebase is a good way of getting stuff to meet
people's needs. If you have to have big branches until things are
perfect you have the cost of maintaining branches, its harder for people
to experiment with your stuff.
* If the cost of adding features is high -and maintaining branches,
merging, identifying test failures is high- the barrier to participation
is pretty steep. you need a team of engineers to work on every feature

View raw message