hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Hadoop takes Big Data beyond Java • The Register
Date Thu, 20 May 2010 17:34:33 GMT
I'd like folks to know that I am misquoted in this article:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/17/doug_cutting_hadoop/

First, I don't know what interview with me they're referring to.  I've
done no recent interviews with The Register.

They assert that I said that Yahoo!'s work on security has delayed a 1.0
release.  I have never said that and it is not something I believe.  I
did answer a question about 1.0 at yesterday's Chicago Hadoop Users
Group meeting.  I said that I personally felt we could call 0.20 1.0,
but that the majority of contributors felt we should hold off, and that
individuals don't make such decisions at Apache.  I did not relate this
to security or Y! in any way.  That part seems to either be the
misunderstanding or fabrication of El Reg.

The spin of the article seems to be created by the author rather than
anything I said.

Doug