hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Jay Booth <jaybo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] HBase as TLP
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 03:40:21 GMT
Not sure exactly what I meant by "1.0 of what", "Hadoop" I guess, I was
trying to address the concerns raised, which I share -- Alan's concern is
that if the projects are completely separate from each other, that might
decrease visibility as to the demands they're placing on each other when
integrated, and St.Ack mentioned the frankenstein factor which I think we've
all felt some pain from, and which may get worse after the project split.
What's the standard way to deploy the three, even?  Is there one?

If the PMCs jointly maintained some sort of 'stable integrated build' which
took in new releases from the TLPs as they were released after a soak
period, it could provide a common touchstone that bugs could be tested
against and cross-component patches delivered against, potentially
increasing visibility of cross-component issues while providing a less
cobbled-together system to administrate.  On the other side, though, if
executed wrong, you'd be creating a committee of committees and possibly
undoing some of the benefits of going TLP in the first place, especially if
politics heat up over what goes into the 'standard' build.  I think it could
be viable though.