hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] HBase as TLP
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 00:15:09 GMT
On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Alan Gates <gates@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> I have a concern.  HDFS, mapreduce, Hbase, Hive, and Pig taken together form
> a coherent software stack.

... if it had been designed by Dr. Frankenstein (half-joke!).

I think it a stretch describing the Hadoop suite 'coherent'.  Pieces
in the above stack can be swapped out and other components that do
similar function put in their place.  Rare is the install that uses
all of the elements above (and the above is not a complete list of all
Hadoop subprojects).  Some of the components have inter-dependencies
but others have no dependency on other subprojects at all and can be
run w/o reference to other pieces of the Hadoop set.  For many, Hadoop
looks more like a 'bucket' of software than it is a 'coherent'
software stack.

I'm trying to undo the premise upon which the rest of your mail depends.
St.Ack