hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: dfs.data.dir
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2010 02:35:38 GMT
On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Allen Wittenauer
<awittenauer@linkedin.com> wrote:

>> * a way to triger some rebalancing on a single node, to say "position stuff more
fairly". You don't need to worry about network traffic, just local disk load and CPU time,
so it should be simpler.

> Yup.  Working with 8 drives per node, it is interesting to see how unbalanced the data
gets after a while.  [Luckily, we have MR tmp space segregated off so I'm sure it would be
a lot worse if we didn't!]

How unbalanced do you see your mounts?  I've mostly heard of this
being an issue when new disks are added.

Thanks,
Eli