hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: dfs.data.dir
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:33:56 GMT
Hey Mag,

You can bring down the datanode daemon, add the extra dfs.data.dir and
then restart. Since blocks are round robin'd the new directory will
have lower utilization (one other directories are full it will start
catching up). If that's not OK you can re-balance the directories by
hand with cp when the datanode is down (before you restart it).  If
this takes you longer than 10 minutes the blocks on that datanode will
start getting re-replicated but when you bring the datanode back up
the namenode will notice the over-replicated blocks and remove them.

Thanks,
Eli