hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eric Sammer <esam...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Where is the 'user' directory
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2010 17:45:49 GMT
HDFS is a user space file system meaning it is a virtual file system,
different from the OS file systems (like ext3, xfs). To access files
on HDFS you use the 'hadoop fs' command. Ex:

hadoop fs -ls /

This is different than your OS / partition and will contain the same
view as the web UI.

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Rana Aich <ranaaich@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a newbie in this sphere...I've downloaded Hadoop yesterday and am going thru the
commands listed in the Quick Start page.

> I went to http://localhost:50070 the DFS home page.
> From there I clicked 'Browse the File System' link.
>
> There I could see two directories:
> /tmp
> /user
>
> and all there subdirectories and files.
>
> But when I go to my File sytem I'm unable to find 'user' directory. Though the DFS home
page lists it under "/" (root directory) - I couldn't find any directory of that name. Interestingly
/tmp is there.

--
Eric Sammer
phone: +1-917-287-2675