hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Jakob Homan <jho...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] secure 0.20-based branch
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2010 16:53:42 GMT
I can't see any way in which staying mired in developing on 20 rather
than trunk is beneficial to the long-term health of the project. 20.0
was released in late April, 2009 and we've not had a major release since
then, which is hurting the project significantly. Packaging and testing
a security-enabled release is very difficult, let me assure you, and
will require a significant, concerted effort that would take away a huge
number of cycles from releasing 21 - whatever form 21 takes - and fixing
bugs on trunk.  We're in the process of moving all the work we did on
Y!'s 20 to trunk so that we can have a great 21 (&& 22).

-jakob