hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] secure 0.20-based branch
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2010 18:58:30 GMT
Allen Wittenauer wrote:
> That 0.20 is not 1.0 quality, no matter how hard people want to believe it is true.

Allen, my question was, "regardless of the naming" should we try to
merge all of the 0.20-based security patches to a branch in Apache's
subversion?

As for the naming, the major release number does not make a claim about
quality or features, but rather about compatibility.  1.0 would
presumably be the lowest quality and least featured release in the 1.x
series, but everything in that series should be API compatible with 1.0.
  Every release in the 2.x series might not be compatible with 1.0.
Point releases add features, dot releases add quality.  So 1.0.1 would
only improve quality, while 1.1.0 would add features while maintaining
compatibility.

Doug