hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ZooKeeper as TLP discussion results.
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2010 16:11:02 GMT
Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> However, going TLP requires experienced people. That means Zookeeper
> will probably need Hadoop PMC members or others (ASF members, etc) to
> join the initial PMC.

The Hadoop PMC should use criteria similar to the Incubator for
graduation to TLP.

The only requirement in doubt is diversity.  Those diversity
requirements are soft, not hard and fast.  When I raised this, several
board members indicated that they would rather have non-diverse TLPs
than non-diverse subprojects, since the board could then directly
observe whether diversity is improving within the project, and, if it is
not, provide assistance.

> Otherwise, in my opinion the proper path could either be Zookeeper
> growing up here for a while until a proper PMC can be forked from
> Hadoop, or going through - hold your breath - incubation.

These projects are already effectively in incubation, under the Hadoop
PMC rather than under the Incubator PMC.  The question today is whether
they're ready to graduate.  The board has asked for a report on this.

We need not rush into anything.  If we have doubts about some cases,
then our report to the board might include questions about the criteria
to promote subprojects to TLP, to help clarify things.

If we, as a PMC, wish to wait for diversity in a subproject to improve,
then we must commit to regular monitoring that subproject's diversity,
and, if it's not improving, try to figure out why, and act to help it
improve.  Just as podlings should not languish in the incubator for
years, a sub-project's goal should be promotion to TLP within a year or
so of founding.  If we don't want to commit to this oversight, then
either the board or the incubator PMC could.

View raw message