hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Julia Smith <invisible...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Custom Class Loader for Hadoop M/R jobs?
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:55:11 GMT
This might be of use to you, as I had a related problem years ago:

http://www.developertutorials.com/tutorials/java/simplify-application-delivery-one-jar-050422/page5.html

The trick is a one-jar solution allows you to embed jar files and load classes from them.
Rolling up all your jar variants in a single jar and then selectively loading the desired
version might provide you a useful solution. The source is there, so you could start with
a working classloader and perhaps apply a few tweaks.

On Apr 14, 2010, at 10:33 AM, Segel, Mike wrote:

> Scott,
>
> While that may work for a quick fix. Its not a good long term solution and you then run
in to a problem where you upgrade your hadoop release and the removed jar is replaced or if
you replace the jar, it possible to get overwritten.

> In this specific instance, the Jackson libraries are not that important and they can
be replaced.
> But that doesn't mean that this issue won't come up again and its something you can't
easily pop out and replace.

> This is why I'm looking at custom class loading and trying to understand what can be
accomplished with the methods in the Configuration class.

> Thx
>
> -Mike

usage of Avro in a M/R job among other things.  However, the feature that uses this library
is unimportant to me (configuration dump in JSON format) so I just removed the jar.

> -Scott
>
> On Apr 14, 2010, at 6:39 AM, Segel, Mike wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Ok, here's a bit of a bizarre  issue...
>>
>> How do you handle class collisions between Hadoop and your m/r job which calls other
3rd party classes.

>> An example: Hadoop has an older version of an open source jar in its /lib directory.
You're interfacing with a 3rd party OS tool that uses a later release of the same jar.

>> You can modify the classpath, and that might work. But the better way is to create
a Custom Class Loader. (Non-trivial)

>> Looking at the Configuration class, it looks like there are a couple of methods that
deal with loading a class in to the configuration so that the m/r jobs can have access to
them on each node.

>> Is this the correct intended use, or am I missing something?
>> Has anyone done something like this?
>>
>> Thx
>>
>> -Mike
>>
>> Michael Segel
>> Architect,  R&D
>> NAVTEQ
>> 425 West Randolph Street
>> Chicago, IL 60606
>> (T)  +1 312-780-3432
>> (C)  +1 312-952-8175
>> www.navteq.com<http://www.navteq.com/>
>>

>> The information contained in this communication may be CONFIDENTIAL and is intended
only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication,
or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in
error, please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original message and any copy of it
from your computer or paper files.