hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Sqoop is moving to github!
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2010 14:54:17 GMT
On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 15:48, Owen O'Malley <owen.omalley@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 1:55 AM, Bernd Fondermann <
> bernd.fondermann@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>> @Hadoop PMC: What is your statement on this fork announcement?
>

> Aaron has been the primary developer of Sqoop. He has asked for it to be
> removed from MapReduce's contrib. If a committer -1's the code removal, it
> will cause a fork. But that hasn't happened and I don't think it will.

It's not the contributor's code alone anymore, once it's been committed.
Where has this been discussed? Where's the PMC-level vote/record of
consensus to ratify to abandon the code?
(ML + TS will be sufficient and I'll find my way.)

> In
> order for it to make sense to keep the code in Hadoop, someone needs to be
> working on it and the only person working on it is Aaron. If someone wants
> to make a case for keeping Sqoop in MapReduce, please make it in the jira:

Well, at least someone reviewed and committed all the contributions to
svn in the first place, he can't be the only one working on it.

> The sub-projects must avoid circular dependencies. We must be able to build
> the sub-projects in order without having to go back and update a previous
> project. Making a component of MapReduce depend on Hive (or Pig) would cause
> that kind of cycle. Some projects like Zebra just live in the upper project
> (Pig in that case). The other option is to ask to be a sub-project, ask to
> join Apache incubator, or go to Github. Github doesn't give him the legal or
> community aspects of Apache, but it also doesn't require asking permission
> or introduce any process requirements.

Well, I'm not looking at this from the contributor's perspective here.
He can do with the code whatever he likes, basically.
It's only the PMC's viewpoint which is interesting for me.

  Bernd