hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Sqoop is moving to github!
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2010 08:55:02 GMT
Hi Aaron,

Good to see you are a contributor to sqoop. Are you a committer yet?
Do you haven an ICLA on file with the ASF? I cannot find any record of it.
I must be missing something here, since PMCs are normally requesting
ICLAs from people making such substantial code contributions.

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 21:02, Aaron Kimball <aaron@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Hi Hadoop, Hive, and Sqoop users,
>
> For the past year, the Apache Hadoop MapReduce project has played host to
> Sqoop, a command-line tool that performs parallel imports and exports
> between relational databases and HDFS. We've developed a lot of features and
> gotten a lot of great feedback from users.

Who is "we" exactly? Cloudera? Hadoop? You?

> While Sqoop was a contrib project
> in Hadoop, it has been steadily improved and grown.

Cool.

> But the contrib directory is a home for new or small projects incubating
> underneath Hadoop's umbrella. Sqoop is starting to look less like a small
> project these days. In particular, a feature that has been growing in
> importance for Sqoop is its ability to integrate with Hive. In order to
> facilitate this integration from a compilation and testing standpoint, we've
> pulled Sqoop out of contrib and into its own repository hosted on github.

So, you are forking sqoop. To facilitate that an Hadoop project can
work with another Hadoop project.
What are the issues with Hadoop that you cannot do it within Hadoop itself?

> You can download all the relevant bits here:
> http://www.github.com/cloudera/sqoop
>
> The code there will run in conjunction with the Apache Hadoop trunk source.
> (Compatibility with other distributions/versions is forthcoming.)

Sqoop is in ASF svn. What do you do when someone is going to continue
developing it here.
Then there's a naming clash. Do you intend to rename your fork?

> While we've changed hosts, Sqoop will keep the same license -- future
> improvements will continue to remain Apache 2.0-licensed. We welcome the
> contributions of all in the open source community; there's a lot of exciting
> work still to be done! If you'd like to help out but aren't sure where to
> start, send me an email and I can recommend a few areas where improvements
> would be appreciated.

Who is "we" in this case? The same "we" as above?

@Hadoop PMC: What is your statement on this fork announcement?

Thanks for clarifying,

  Bernd