hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Owen O'Malley" <owen.omal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sqoop is moving to github!
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:48:28 GMT
On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 1:55 AM, Bernd Fondermann <
bernd.fondermann@googlemail.com> wrote:

> @Hadoop PMC: What is your statement on this fork announcement?

Aaron has been the primary developer of Sqoop. He has asked for it to be
removed from MapReduce's contrib. If a committer -1's the code removal, it
will cause a fork. But that hasn't happened and I don't think it will. In
order for it to make sense to keep the code in Hadoop, someone needs to be
working on it and the only person working on it is Aaron. If someone wants
to make a case for keeping Sqoop in MapReduce, please make it in the jira:

The sub-projects must avoid circular dependencies. We must be able to build
the sub-projects in order without having to go back and update a previous
project. Making a component of MapReduce depend on Hive (or Pig) would cause
that kind of cycle. Some projects like Zebra just live in the upper project
(Pig in that case). The other option is to ask to be a sub-project, ask to
join Apache incubator, or go to Github. Github doesn't give him the legal or
community aspects of Apache, but it also doesn't require asking permission
or introduce any process requirements.

-- Owen