hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 0.21 Release
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:32:09 GMT
Stack wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Jeremy Davis <jerdavis@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>> ...and I also saw release 0.21 as is with stack as the release manager. Was
>> there a final decision on this off list?
>>

> On the above, I was toying with the idea of being release manager for
> releasing as hadoop 0.21.0 what is in current 0.21 hadoop branch but I
> subsequently decided against it after chatting with folks and figuring
> that the only group that seemed interested in driving a release of the
> hadoop 0.21 branch was the hbase crew.  If I were to guess, an hadoop
> vouched for by a couple of hbasers with their spotty hdfs and
> mapreduce knowledge probably wouldn't have the penetration of a
> release backed by, say, a Yahoo.  No one would trust their data to
> such a release.  If no data in hadoop 0.21 clusters, hbase wouldn't
> have anything to run against.  So I let it go and figured time could
> be spent better elsewhere; e.g. helping test the set of patches that
> could get us a sync/flush/append on a patched hadoop 0.20 (hdfs-200,
> etc.).
>
> Sorry, I should have added a note to cited thread that I'd wandered...
>
> St.Ack

I'm not going to volunteer to help with this as my changes are still not
in 0.22, which is what I'm trying to target, but I'd certainly approve
of cutting a release if only because
  - it ensures the release process itself works well. When we were doing
releases every fortnight at work, you make sure everything is automated
that can be automated.
  - with 0.22 adding security, I expect its deployment will be traumatic
and take longer to roll out than anyone expects
  - there are lots of improvements in 0.21; getting into a world of
backports is complicated. Better to keep momentum up.

The big concern has to be the filesystem. Who out there is willing/able
to test 0.21-based filesystems, and what size clusters do they have?

-steve