hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Release plans
Date Fri, 19 Feb 2010 23:14:58 GMT
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Doug Cutting <cutting@apache.org> wrote:
> Eli Collins wrote:
>>>
>>> My concern is more about when the next branch from trunk will be made.
>>
>> Does there need to be a dependency?
>
> No.  I just wanted to note that, from my point of view, releasing from the
> existing 0.21 branch is not sufficient, that, regardless, we still need to
> release from trunk soon, and we need a schedule going forward for when
> future branches from trunk will be made.

Agreed. Releasing a 21 won't settle the release process question or
tell us when the first major release is. Maybe we could get 21 behind
us and have a separate discussion covering those.

>> Could the vote on whether 22 is backwards compatible with 20 be
>> independent of what we call 1.0?
>
> We minimally need to declare whether releases are major or minor.

I was assuming 21 would be another minor release, didn't hear
otherwise when it was branched. I didn't interpret the compatibility
vote as a suggestion that we should retroactively consider 20 to be
the first major release, but rather a suggestion for voting that we
don't remove APIs in 22 that were deprecated in 20. Owen, please
correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Eli