hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release plans
Date Fri, 19 Feb 2010 01:02:04 GMT
On Feb 18, 2010, at 3:06 PM, Jeff Hammerbacher wrote:

> I think the community will step up to knock down some of the
> blockers once we resolve what should be in the 0.21 release: the
> current
> branch, or a rebase on trunk. Do you/Yahoo! have a preference on
> that front?

Yahoo doesn't care. Even if we rebase the 0.21 branch, because of the
timing, Yahoo will probably never deploy it. (It take months to push a
release through QA and production testing, as I wrote the security
release will hit the pipeline this year (code complete in february,
first integration cluster in april, on all production clusters by
august). Yahoo can't handle another big release until january 2011.

Personally, I'd prefer to rebase 0.21, especially after we have the
Maven story straightened out. Generating good poms would be a huge win
for downstream projects.

One big concern is that backwards incompatibility is a big cost.
Especially if 0.21 (like 0.19) never gets wide deployment, I'd like to
start a vote that we don't make any API incompatible in 0.22 relative
to 0.20.

-- Owen