hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release plans
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 21:55:00 GMT

On Feb 18, 2010, at 11:29 AM, Doug Cutting wrote:

My presentation basically said that:
   * Yahoo is currently running Yahoo's 0.20.8 on all 25,000 of our
nodes.
   * We have made substantial numbers of feature back ports from trunk
into our branch. Including:
      * improved Capacity scheduler
      * run MapReduce tasks as the real user
   * Hadoop 0.21 isn't stable yet and still has 28 blockers.
   * Furthermore, there are missing back ports that have been fixed in
trunk but not 0.21.
   * We have a very tight timeline for adding security, which we can't
slip
      * feature complete in february
      * deploy to first integration cluster in april
      * completely deployed on all clusters in august
   * To reduce risk, we are back porting security in to a branch of
Yahoo's 0.20 branch.
   * By the time we are ready for the next version after security, the
current 0.21 will be too stale to be interesting
   * So Yahoo will probably skip straight from Yahoo 0.20 with
security to 0.22 in 2011.
   * Someone outside of Yahoo needs to step up and start addressing
the blockers to get 0.21 released.

> Personally, I'd rather re-branch 21 from trunk in early March.

Rather than set a date, I think it is time to move to feature-based
releases. We'd need to vote on the feature set, but looking for
security, end-to-end avro, and symlinks seems like a reasonable list.
That will avoid the large rush of commits the last week of the
deadline, which has been counter productive.

-- Owen