hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: additional source only release tarball
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2010 18:23:53 GMT

Doug Cutting wrote:
> Patrick Hunt wrote:
>> If you use the release tag from SVN you are guaranteed to get the
>> same source as is contained in the release artifact.
>
> "Guarantee" is a strong word.  You certainly should get the same source,
> but the source that's voted on, that's checksummed and that's signed is
> the release artifact, not the SVN tag.  It's a bug if this is not the
> same as the release tag, but not impossible.

Ah, thanks for clarify that Doug. To take it a bit further, when you say
"bug" you really mean "serious breach of Apache process/rules", would
that be valid? i.e. it would be something that the responsible Apache
team should work to address with highest of priority.

Patrick

ps. I do like this Avro idea of a separate src artifact (re the signing
esp).