hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: additional source only release tarball
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2010 18:02:34 GMT
Patrick Hunt wrote:
> Thomas, not sure if this solves all your issues but have you considered
> using SVN rather than the release tarball?

FWIW, in Avro we've moved away from a single release tarball that
includes dependencies.  Rather the primary release artifact is a source
tarball generated with 'svn export'.  In addition we distribute derived
artifacts as conveniences, like a documentation tarball, a java jar &
pom for upload to maven, a java executable jar for command-line tools, a
python egg, a ruby gem, C & C++ pristine tarballs, etc.

> If you use the release tag from SVN you are guaranteed to get the
> same source as is contained in the release artifact.

"Guarantee" is a strong word.  You certainly should get the same source,
but the source that's voted on, that's checksummed and that's signed is
the release artifact, not the SVN tag.  It's a bug if this is not the
same as the release tag, but not impossible.

Doug