hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release plans
Date Fri, 19 Feb 2010 23:38:34 GMT
Eli Collins wrote:
> Maybe we could get 21 behind
> us and have a separate discussion covering those.

I'm personally more interested in that discussion than in what's
currently in the 0.21 branch, but others, like Stack, may reasonably be
of the opposite persuasion.  So rather than putting one before the
other, can we pursue both in parallel?

> I was assuming 21 would be another minor release, didn't hear
> otherwise when it was branched.

We've never officially had a minor release.  All of our releases have
been either major or bugfix.  A minor release adds features but does not
remove any deprecated APIs.  So making 0.21 a minor release would be a
change in the rules.

Have no deprecations in fact been removed between the 0.20 and 0.21
branches?

Perhaps we can agree that, after 0.20, no deprecations will be removed
until 1.0, that all pre-1.0 releases after 0.20 are now minor instead of
major, that 0.20 was effectively 1.0 but we're not going to rename it,
and that 1.0 will effectively be 2.0, etc.  Could that work?

Doug