hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release plans
Date Fri, 19 Feb 2010 21:58:29 GMT
Eli Collins wrote:
> Given that Yahoo and others plan to skip 21, and the HBase crowd could
> actually use 21 and have invested in the current branch's contents, it
> sounds like we should try to get the current branch released.

My concern is more about when the next branch from trunk will be made.
If we embrace a six-month trunk branch cycle, then the next branch from
trunk should be created soon, regardless of whether we call it 21 or 22.

Also note that this decision has compatibility implications, unless we
decide to, post-fact, declare that 0.20 was actually a major release
(1.0) and that 0.21 (1.1) and 0.22 (1.2) are minor, feature releases,
that may add deprecations and features but may not remove any or
otherwise change APIs incompatibly.

Doug