hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release plans
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 23:20:36 GMT
Owen O'Malley wrote:
> Rather than set a date, I think it is time to move to feature-based
> releases.

The problem with feature-based releases is that one feature can delay
releases arbitrarily, so a single feature can hold all others hostage.
Rather I think we need to be willing to remove or disable a feature in a
branch if it proves problematic.  If an addition causes regressions that
are not resolved promptly then that addition might be removed or
disabled.  This levels the playing field: features that doesn't cause
regressions can be made available in a release in a timely, predictable
manner and are not held back by more problematic features.

Doug