hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release plans
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 19:29:07 GMT
Eli Collins wrote:
> What are the current plans for the 21 release?

Personally, I'd rather re-branch 21 from trunk in early March.  I
believe Y!'s security changes will be feature-complete in trunk by then.
  Symlinks and end-to-end Avro should also hopefully be committed by then.

I'd then propose we roll a 0.21.0 (alpha) release one month later, in
early April.

Henceforth, I'd like to see the project:
  - set branch dates at 6-month intervals
  - roll alpha releases one month after branch dates
  - roll bugfix releases as needed thereafter

At the onset of each six-month period we'd also need to decide what sort
of release we'll make, major or minor.  (Minor releases allow new
features, but remove no deprecated APIs.  Only major releases are
permitted to remove previously deprecated APIs.  All pre-1.0 releases
are major.)

We'd also designate a release master for each release, to drive the
process: making the branches, rolling the artifacts, and calling the
votes, etc.  Do we have any release master candidate volunteers for 0.21?

Doug