hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release candidate for Hadoop 0.20.2
Date Thu, 11 Feb 2010 17:20:42 GMT
On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Owen O'Malley <omalley@apache.org> wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2010, at 10:51 PM, Todd Lipcon wrote:
>
>> I applied HADOOP-5612 to fix this, though I think creating a tarball
>> after chmod 755ing the configure scripts would also be correct.
>
> *Sigh* You can't blame a release for not containing one of your patches, if
> you didn't ask for it to be applied to the relevant branch. If you want it
> to be included in the next 0.20 release, reopen the jira and ask for it to
> be applied back to branch-0.20.

Yes, I should have asked at the time to put it in 20. I had newly
started working on Hadoop when I did that patch and didn't know the
proper JIRA protocol at the time. Will do so now. Like I said in my
mail, I'm not trying to block a release. I'm just reporting the errors
I ran into trying to use the release candidate - if the rest of the
community or PMC thinks it's not worth rolling a new one, I'll leave
it up to them.

Regardless, it has nothing to do with whether it's "my patch" - I
think it reflects poorly on the project when the releases fail to
build on a common system configuration.

>> These same problems are present as seen in the branch-20 Hudson build:
>> http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Hadoop-20-Build/67/console
>
> The problem on Hudson seems to be that automake 1.9 is not installed. That
> seems like a different issue.

automake should not be a build time requirement for released artifacts
in pretty much any sane project. autotools "make dist" targets always
include a configure script, which means automake was already run by
the developer. After applying the patches mentioned above that fix
missing header includes, I built just fine on my box that has no
automake-1.9.

>> 3) It would be nice if the tarball had libhdfs included in c++/lib
>
> It does have the .so for libhdfs.
>
>  hadoop-0.20.2/c++/Linux-i386-32/lib/libhdfs.so
>
> I assume you were looking for the 64 bit version. Did someone get the 64 bit
> libhdfs working? If so, we should update the HowToRelease twiki to include
> it.

After applying the patches I mentioned, the ant command quoted above
succeeded in building libhdfs just fine:
build/c++/Linux-amd64-64/lib/libhdfs.so.0.0.0: ELF 64-bit LSB shared
object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, not stripped

If others think these are blockers, I'm happy to roll a new candidate
tarball later this week once they've been pushed into branch-20.
Although I don't have a binding vote in the release process, I am
pretty sure the ASF policies are fine with anyone rolling an rc and
calling a vote. If no one else thinks these patches are worth stalling
for, that's fine too.

Thanks
-Todd